- "When Luke was singing a very good song,
you could feel the hair rise on the back of your neck." Peggy Seeger.
- "I was amazed by the power and committment of Luke's performance
and by how emotionally involved he was with his material
...he was a hero who became a friend and I still mourn him." Christy Moore.
- "Luke stood out as being passionate in his singing...he put soul into it". Mary Coughlan.
- "He was a hard chaw with a heart of gold and the soul of an angel". Barney McKenna.
- "He stood head and shoulders above the others;
he gave a voice to the unemployed;
he gave a voice to the worker;
a voice to the person on the streets of Dublin." Frank Harte.
- He had a quality impossible to define and certainly impossible to learn." Phil Coulter.
- "You couldn't help but respect Luke for his tremendous integrity
and the way he stuck to his convictions throughout his life.
As a singer he was the best bar none." Ronnie Drew.